My last baking post I really enjoyed trying something new, so this time I’ve made indulgent cake truffles that are delicious and combine chocolate ganache and cake. What else could you ask for?
What you will need:
- 24 mini cupcake cases
- 12 vanilla cupcakes
- 200g 39% chocolate (or 70% what ever you fancy)
- 250 lm of double cream
- Two large bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Small pot
- Heat proof jug or bowl
- A couple of spoons
- First we need to make the chocolate ganache, I measured out the double cream and poured it into a small pot to bring to the boil, when you can see little bubbles appearing thats when it’s ready. Then in a heat proof bowl with your chocolate broken into peices pour the double cream on top. Wait for 1-2 minuets then stir until all the chocolate has melted and you have a nice smooth texture. Now set it to the side to cool.
- Now take your 12 cupcakes in a separate bowl, you need to make the cupcakes into crumbs. You can do this by using a food processor or by hand. It doesn’t matter if the caupcakes are a bit dry (it will be easier to crumble and it will soak up the yummy ganache!) Once you have crumbled up all your cupcakes check if the ganache is cool.
- If the ganache is cool pour about a third of it into the cupcake crumbs, use a wooden spoon or your hand to mix in the ganache, we are looking for a texture that is firm enough to clump together and it won’t fall apart, but not to soft you can’t shape it. Add as much chocolate ganache as you need (this will depend on your cupcake and how dry or moist it is).
- Once you have the right consitency put the mixture into the fridge for half an hour, you don’t need to do this if your mixture is firm enough to hold it’s shape.
- You will need to get your mini cupcake cases ready and your sprinkle too, I took just over half a table spoon size and rolled it into a small ball that would fit into the case. After you have done this for all of them, take your ganache and a teaspoon and put a small blob (the only way I can describe it) on top of the truffle, then of course the best part putting on the rainbow sprinkles!
- Now set aside to set, for me these are best served chilled from the fridge.
You can do lots of variations with this recipe, like using chocolate cupcakes or using different chocolates. All will be yummy 😋