It’s been ages since I’ve done a baking post, so for Easter I made these super cute nest cupcakes. Vanilla cupcakes, pastel buttercream icing with chocolate nests and mini chocolate eggs. Super easy and defiantly yummy for an Easter treat.
What you will need:
- 12 vanilla cupcakes (if you want recipe comment and let me know!)
- 500g of icing sugar
- 200g unsalted butter
- 60 ml of milk
- Vanilla extract
- 200g of milk chocolate (I used Dairy Milk)
- cereal of your choice (I used cornflakes)
- Mini chocolate eggs (I used mini eggs and Galaxy golden eggs)
- Pink and yellow food colouring
- first you need to make your nests, Melt the chocolate in a glass heat proof bowl, over a pot of simmering water. Occasionally stir the chocolate until melted. Then take off the heat.
- Now with your chosen cereal mix into the chocolate until all the cereal is covered and there is no spare chocolate left and all the cereal is covered.
- using 12 cupcake cases evenly use the chocolate cereal mixture and make little nests, then take 2 pastel mini eggs and one golden egg in each nest(you can use any mini chocolate eggs you like). Then place the nests in the fridge to set completely for around 1 hour (it will probably be less than this)
- When your nests are setting in the fridge, make your buttercream icing. Simply put the butter and vanilla extract in a bowl and around half of the icing sugar. Whisk until combined. Add in half the milk then the other half of the icing sugar. If needed add in rest of the milk. Your buttercream icing should be thick and creamy but still spreadable. Then separate the buttercream icing into 2 bowls, using a tiny amount of pink food colouring in one and yellow in the other bowl. Whisk each of the buttercream and food colouring. Depending on how much food colour you put in will determine the shade of your icing( I put a tiny bit in because I wanted pastel icing)
- In two separate icing bags put the two different colours of icing, Cut around half an inch wide opening for the piping bag. Carefully put a nice big blob of icing on the cupcakes alternating between the icing colours.
- After you ice the cupcakes take your nests out the fridge and place one on each cupcake. simple and yummy. All that’s left to do is to devour and enjoy!
These are super easy and cute, simple to do and great for Easter as a Yummy treat.